Sunday, February 19, 2012

Celebrate!

Yesterday was not the typical Saturday for me and my family, but it was an absolute blast! We went for a family bike ride and then attended a wedding in the evening...

To stay healthy I always try to go for a run or bike ride at least twice a week. 
So yesterday when I woke up, I knew I was going to go for a bike ride at some point. I usually go by myself. But not yesterday. My mom and younger siblings were home and I asked if they wanted to come with me. They said yes, so we pumped up our tires and headed off. In my big family (there are 7 of us all together), it's not every Saturday that we are all home to spend the day together; so yesterday was a real treat.


It was fun for me to include my family in one of my hobbies and show them all the back roads and side streets of my usual route. We rode through connecting neighborhoods a few blocks over, and were enjoying the beautiful sunny weather. As we headed down one last street before we headed home, my brother decided to go the opposite direction...
He's a very independent nine year old:)

Since he knows the neighborhood though, we didn't really worry. By the time we were heading home, my brother met up with us; but to our surprise, he had a friend with him. Apparently, this friend was on my brother's football team last season, and had chased my brother down on his own bike after seeing him ride by his house. He tagged along with my brother and ended up following us all the way home. My brother is one of those so called "social butterflies," and I don't think he has ever met a stranger in his life. His friend hung out at our house for almost the rest of the afternoon. Then we had a wedding to go to...


It was an outside wedding and the decorations were gorgeous! There was dancing, and my little sister eventually talked my Dad into going to dance with her; which was the most adorable thing to watch. Most of the crowd was content to stay sitting as onlookers until the YMCA song started playing, then everyone jumped up and headed to the dance floor. I just stood and watched. There was an indescribable energy when everyone hit the dance floor and joined the newly weds. I remained an onlooker, and although it looked like a blast, it was just as much fun to watch everyone come together to celebrate. What exactly were we celebrating?

Well, we were celebrating life, family, new beginnings, and all of the little things in life that add color to it. But most importantly, we were celebrating love. So yesterday, after the wedding it got me thinking. I did a lot of sharing and celebrating with others yesterday. And I have to say, it made for one of the best days ever! 


There is no other reason why we should live on than that we love and are beloved.
-Henry Drummond




We should always remember to celebrate the little things, and share in celebration with others. 







No comments:

Post a Comment